Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Stuck.


I was riding shotgun of his Mercedes, cruzing along highway 80, neither one of us not knowing where we were going. The mood was set and my boyfriend, Tanner, and I were driving down the bumpy road, watching the pinkish orange sunset drifting away into the shimmering water. Out of nowhere a large herd of cattle unfolds into the lane we were in. My boyfriend swerved to avoid hitting them and we wind up on a long mysterious road in the middle of nowhere. Continuing down the dark deserted path we came across a little cabin with no lights on. We agree to stop and ask for directions from whoever lived there.

Stepping out of the expensive car, we smelled a disgusting smell of something dead and my foot hit something warm and squishy. I heard the insides coming out of the decomposing raccoon I had just smashed further into the ground. Already terrified, we started up the hard cobblestone sidewalk and grabbed hold of the large brass door holder. After three loud “knock, knock, knocks,” nobody came so we turned the rusty door knob and walked in. Each step we made creating an echo of the creaking in the wood flooring.

Exploring the inside, we find an old fashioned phone and immediately think to call the operator for directions. The phone was covered in layers upon layers of spider webs. Tanner picked it up and before dialing anything it seemed to already be connected to a line. He listened closely and could barely make out the words “getttt ouuutt,” coming from a faint girl’s voice. Thrusting the phone back onto the holder, we give up on trying to find directions.

Going back outside to our car, we find the tires slashed with arrows two feet long. The tips were covered in blood, showing signs of previous use. We cautiously attempt to open the doors to retrieve our cell phones and other belongings. The cell phones batteries had been removed, therefore serving no purpose to us. My boyfriend chucked the phones across the field in furry.


Warm tears stream down my face. Not knowing what else to do we go back inside the creepy cabin to keep warm from the thirty degree weather. As soon as we walk inside the open door frame, it slams shut with a loud bang and locks itself. Realizing something was up we decided we needed to get out. Tanner went into the back bedrooms to find something to knock the door down with. After twenty minutes of pacing back and forth alone in the dark I head back to check on my brave boyfriend. Feeling like a little child looking under the bed for a boogyman, I peek my head around the door of the largest bedroom. Taking a second glance I notice him sprawled out on the floor with his hands around his neck. Blood covered the floors and was dripping into the cracks between the wooden planks. I rushed to his side and examined his dead, cold body.


As much as I wanted to stay with him, there was nothing I could do help him. It was too late. Worrying about my own safety, I break the bedroom window and climb onto the antique nightstand and crawl out feet first. Running at miracle speed, I sprint though the backyard filled with prickly weeds as tall as I was. Suddenly, I trip over a large boulder and fall hard onto the dirt. My leg was caught by something and the grip was tight. I look over and see an old man with blood all over his attire.

That’s all I remember from that night at the deserted cabin. I woke up to find myself in a hospital bed with a punctured lung and two broken ribs. Every time I pass a road that trails off into nowhere I think about the night I got stuck.


By: Tayler Wachob

No comments:

Post a Comment